How to PREPARE your KIDS for an UPCOMING PHOTOSHOOT!!!

So, you've scheduled your family photoshoot.... Outfits are picked and they co-ordinate with each other as well as your living room colors so you can hang the picture there.... Deposit is down with your favorite photographer who has a great portfolio and reputation, the location or studio is ready, those last ten pounds are gone and you've already "pre-tipped" your PHOTOG to take another ten LBS off in photoshop..... SO-----------last thing on the list: PRAY THAT KIDS CO-OPERATE!!!!!!!

So, here's some EASY Tips to "Help" your photographer BEFORE the PHOTOSHOOT even begins!!!

1. Arrange with your photographer a "flexible" shooting schedule. COMMUNICATE!!!!!! COMMUNICATE!!!!!! COMMUNICATE!!!!!!



As a photographer, I VALUE my time. Photoshoots are approximately 20% off the work I do on your finished product.
80% of my time is spent on processing your photos AFTER we meet so just like you, I want the photoshoot to go WELL and SEAMLESSLY and run ON-TIME.... however,
Showing up to a photoshoot with kids who have been crying and scolded to be on-time makes our photoshoot VERY challenging and recovering from their newfound "impression" of what this experience will be like is sometimes INSURMOUNTABLE.
I prefer for my clients to schedule a time... 4 o'clock for example with the understanding that they will CALL a half-hour before if they are running behind.
I would rather my clients be 15 minutes behind schedule due to a peaceful "getting ready" than have our photoshoot go an hour long because of unhappy kids.

Three things to do ON THE WAY to the photoshoot.
1. Laugh
2. Practice saying "CHEESE" and reward their smiles with APPLAUSE and PRAISE!!! (Hopefully, you've been doing this for a week)
3. LISTEN to PEACEFUL, CALM, UPLIFTING MUSIC!!!!!!


2. REALIZE your EXPECTATIONS.
Here's a secret.... if your kids are between the ages of 1.5 years and 4 years old.... MOST of your shots will BE CANDIDS. Get over it. :)
These will show the REAL personality of your tender sweet kiddos... and IF we get the PERFECT shot of them smiling the way you hope they will... Consider it a BONUS.




3. KIDS RULE THE PHOTOSHOOT. BOTTOM LINE.

They will effect how quick we will finish. I will do my absolute best. I will have fun things to look at and I will be happy and patient. I will have mom-approved treats for bribery and I will let us "take breaks" from smiling.

BUT I ask that you ALLOW me to talk the way I talk to your kids. One of MY BEST tricks is to ask them to "Show me your Sad face." "Let's see your MAD face!" "Let's see your THINKING face." "Scary Face!!!!"
You'd be AMAZED at how when I THEN ask... "NOW What kind of Face???" KIDS ALWAYS CHIME IN "HAPPY FACE!!!!!" and we move on...



 4. REWARD REWARD REWARD!!!

Photos ARE NOT what kids think of as "FUN." They get to look at a big black machine in front of a nice ladies face... smile over and over at nothing when they would rather be playing or exploring the new and exciting place they are visiting.

Whatever "rewards" are for your kids, DO IT. Maybe it's ice cream cones on the way home, a new video game, going to a park to play, earning a new barbie doll or hotwheel... BUT PLEASE REWARD them for their co-operation, they DESERVE it---  and I promise you will be paving the way for any future sessions you have.


Find more about me and my work Here:
https://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/The-Photog-Alley/121484944613867?bookmark_t=page

No comments: